What is thrush and how do I know I have it?
Thrush is caused by a yeast infection called Candida which usually lives harmlessly on parts of the body. Thrush occurs if the level of yeast increases, with growth tending to occur in warm, moist conditions and developing if the balance of bacteria changes. The balance may be disturbed by hormonal changes (menstruation, contraceptive pill, pregnancy, menopause), poor health, antibiotics, perfumed soaps, bath additives and tight clothing, not just poor hygiene.
Thrush can also less commonly occur in men, this is called balanitis (inflammation of the end of the penis).
Canesten Thrush Combi Internal & External Creams contains
- a pre-filled applicator containing 5g of white internal cream
- one 10g tube of white external cream
Clotrimazole is the active ingredient in this product. Belonging to a group of medication called azoles, the antifungal kills the yeast and fights the cause of the infection improving symptoms.
Symptoms in women
- Persistent burning and/or itching around the vagina and vulva
- Redness, swelling and soreness of the tissues of the vagina and vulva
- Whitish, odourless discharge from the vagina.
Symptoms in men
- Soreness and redness of the penis
- Tightness of the foreskin
- White, odourless discharge from the penis.
Not everybody will have all these symptoms and some may only have one.
Browns Pharmacy tips to avoid thrush in women
- Wear cotton knickers and loose clothing
- Wash daily
- After going to the toilet, wipe from the front to back
- Change your sanitary protection regularly
- Try to avoid wearing tights, nylon knickers and close-fitting jeans
- Try to avoid washing with perfumed soaps or using vaginal deodorants
- Do not wash or rub yourself hard with sponges or flannels and avoid hot baths with strong perfumed oils
How to use Canesten Internal 10% and External 2% Cream
Women over 16 years of age and under 60 years
Internal Cream: Insert as high as possible into the vagina, for convenience and comfort this is best done just before going to sleep at night
- Keeping the cap in place, insert the tip of the plunger about 1cm into the applicator
- Remove cap and carefully put the applicator as deep as is comfortable into the vagina then slowly press the plunger until it stops. Be careful not to press the plunger before insertion to avoid wasting any cream
- Remove applicator and dispose safely
External Cream: apply thinly and evenly to the area around the entrance of the vagina, 2-3 times daily and smoothed in gently.
This should be applied until symptoms of the infections disappear
Do not use internally, this is an external cream.
Speak to your doctor before using this product if you have the following symptoms
- Irregular vaginal bleeding.
- Abnormal vaginal bleeding or a blood-stained discharge.
- Ulcers, blisters or sores of the vagina or vulva.
- Lower abdominal pain.
- Pain or difficulty in passing urine.
- Fever or chills.
- Nausea or diarrhoea.
- A foul-smelling discharge from the vagina
- Your sexual partner does not have thrush.
- You have sores, ulcers or blisters on your penis.
- You have an abnormal discharge from your penis.
- Your penis has started to smell.
- You have pain or difficulty in passing urine.
If you have any further questions about this product call our Browns Online Professional Pharmacist on 02476 364 586
Internal cream: clotrimazole 10% w/w
External cream: clotrimazole 2% w/w
Internal cream: benzyl alcohol, polysorbate 60, sorbitan stearate, cetostearyl alcohol, isopropyl myristate, cetyl palmitate and purified water
External cream: benzyl alcohol, polysorbate 60, sorbitan stearate, cetyl palmitate, cetostearyl alcohol, octyldodecanol and purified water
Do not take more than the recommended dose.
Do not use tampons, intravaginal douches, spermicides or other vaginal products while using this product.
Only use this product if you have been previously diagnosed with thrush
The cream contains cetostearyl alcohol which may cause local skin irritation (e.g. rash, itching or redness)
Do not use this product if you:
are allergic to other medicines you have taken to treat fungal infections or to any of ingredients in this product.
Are on your period (may be less effevective)
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you:
Are unsure you have thrush, or it is your first time
have had more than two infections of thrush in the last six months
or your partner have ever had a sexually transmitted disease
are aged under 16 or over 60.
Are pregnant or breast feeding
take other medication, especially:
tacrolimus or sirolimus
have any of the following symptoms:
Irregular vaginal bleeding.
Abnormal vaginal bleeding or a blood-stained discharge.
Ulcers, blisters or sores of the vagina or vulva.
Lower abdominal pain.
Pain or difficulty in passing urine.
Fever or chills.
Feeling sick or vomiting.
A foul-smelling discharge from the vagina
This product may reduce the effectiveness of rubber contraceptives (e.g. condoms or diaphragms). You should use alternative precautions for at least five days after using this product.
- Free Delivery on all orders over £35.00
- Orders below £35.00 are at charged at just £3.99
- Delivery is within 2-3 days via Royal Mail 1st Class post.
Express Delivery (UK Mainland)
- Next Day Delivery will cost £5.99
- Cut off for Next Day is 2pm (Mon-Fri)
- Orders placed after 2pm Mon-Fri will be dispatched the next working day.